SEO content readability scores are absolutely crucial in securing your company’s rank in SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).
And yet so many companies do not tailor their content to make it more readable for their clients.
Without paying heed to readability, your content will not be accessible for your potential clients. Therefore, less clients will read your content, and invest in your company. Consequently, your company will lose money.
So by optimising your content, making it readable, your company’s content will be more approachable and digestible. Hence, you will gain more clients and increase your profits.
Through this article, we at Total SEO Services are here to explore the ins and outs of Readability Scores. We will explain what Readability scores are, why they are so important to your company’s SEO strategy and how to use Readability to your brands advantage.
An SEO content readability score is a reflection of how easy it is to understand your written text.
Readability is based on factors such as:
- Speed of perception
- Perceptibility at a distance
- Perceptibility in peripheral vision
- Reflex blink technique
- Rate of work (e.g., reading speed)
- Eye movements
- Fatigue in reading
Overall, if a written text is easy to read and understand, then it has a good readability.
SEO content readability is usually measured by estimating the grade of the students that are capable of understanding the particular content.
A recent study that was conducted on more than 10,000 people highlighted the reading abilities of your potential visitors. The study has shown that the average person has the ability to read a text that is on the level of a Year 10 student. However, the vast majority of people prefer to read texts that are at least 2 levels lower.
This tells us that readers of online content don’t want to put a lot of effort into reading complex articles. They want to be able to read your articles effortlessly and to understand your content easily.
In order to determine your SEO Content’s Readability Score, you can use this free online readability test tool.
While Google does not rank your content according to your readability scores, Search Engines still use algorithms in order to measure your readability. The most widely used algorithms are: the Flesch-Kincaid readability test, Coleman-Liau algorithm, Gunning-Fog algorithm and SMOG indexing.
You should use these algorithms to your advantage. Use them to optimise your content and make it as readable as possible.
Readable Content is Effective Content.
To summarise, if your content is easy to read, potential clients are more likely to read your content and then invest in your company. However, if your content is more readable other areas of your SEO scores will improve indirectly, such as:
- Time on page
- Exit rate
- Bounce rate
- Social sharing rate
- Conversion rate
- Total number of sessions
By indirectly improving these SEO factors, you will see a significant and steady rise of your SEO scores on the search engine result pages.
So by making your content more readable, you will gain more business as you will rise up in the SERPs and more clients will be reading your content.
Therefore, it is in your company’s best interest to make your content as readable as possible.
Put simply, if you are not making your content readable, you will lose business.
To improve your articles readability scores, follow these handy tips and tricks to optimise your Content and Presentation.
- Less is more: Keep your article content concise and interesting. Put the most important information at the top to entice your reader straight away.
- Use short sentences and short paragraphs: Shorter sentences and paragraphs are easier to read and allow the reader to process and take in the information without being overwhelmed. The readers attention span is less likely to wander when reading something short, snappy and interesting.
- Use short simple words: Long, complex words are less easy to read. If the reader is struggling to read your content they will exit the page and abandon your company. Short, simple words are easy to understand and make your content succinct and engaging.
- Use transition words: Words that connect sentences and paragraphs such as “however”, “similarly“, “in addition to“, and “for instance” make your content flow when reading it. This will create a smooth and enjoyable reading experience.
- Write conversationally: By writing conversationally, your content will be easier to read and will create a rapport between you and your reader. Therefore, your reader will feel more connected to your company and more likely to invest in your brand.
- Use easy to read font in order to ensure that the audience can read your article easily. Don’t use small fonts and keep the appearance of the text simple, align the text so that people can skim though it with ease.
- Narrow columns read quicker than wider columns. The optimal line length is anywhere between 9 to 13 words per line or anywhere between 40 to 75 characters per line.
- Bullet points are a great way to break up your text and to organise common themes.
- Incorporating headings and subheads increases readability for readers and search engines by categorizing information, sign positing the specific content they are looking for. Make sure you use header tags <h1> – <h3> for keywords to improve reader experience and SEO rankings.
- A splash of colour goes a long way: Colour makes your content more eye catching, appealing and memorable. Use of colour is a good way to highlight key points of the article.
- Add some images: Pictures and infographs help to demonstrate key points clearly and visually.
How can Total SEO Services help You Improve Your SEO Readability Scores:
We at Total SEO Services are comprised of devoted and experienced SEO experts who want to help your business by optimising your content for SEO.
We offer a variety strategies to improve your brand’s SEO content and readability:
- You can employ our skilled team of content writers to write tailored SEO content for your website, that is readable in order to entice your potential clients.
- We also offer the installation of structured data onto your webpages and content that helps to ensure you rank higher up on SERPs.
- We can even update or build you an entire new website! This will help to not only to ensure your website and content is accessible and readable, but will make your brand optimised for mobile use. Thus, web traffic will consequently increase and you will gain more clients and revenue.
Total SEO Services are here to Serve Your Company during this time of crisis, to make Your Brand the Best it can be.